During April and early May, there are a number of important local educational events on addiction and drug misuse topics.
One to highlight is the CMC Foundation’s Parent & Family Training Workshop taking place on Saturday, May 4th, 9AM at the Greenwich Audubon Center. Jeff Foote and Carrie Wilkens, Co-Founders of CMC (Center for Motivation & Change) and Co-Authors of Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change, will lead the half-day workshop for parents, family members and partners. The event is free of charge.
During the training, all will learn coping and communication skills that support both treatment and recovery for their loved ones. Please pre-register here, as there is limited space.
See the complete listing of local events below, which include several on marijuana topics. These are timely given the three legalization bills that been proposed in the CT General Assembly.
Schedule of Upcoming Events (Apr-May 2019):
- Wednesday, April 24 at 7PM: Chris Herren: Prevention Starts With All. Host, Ram Council. NCHS, 11 Farm Road, New Canaan
- Wednesday, April 24 at 7PM: What About Weed? A Discussion about Marijuana. Kevin Hill, MD, Harvard and Alecia Dager, MD, Yale. Host, Darien YWCA. Location: Darien Town Hall Auditorium, 2 Renshaw Road, Darien, CT 06820
- Friday, April 26, 9AM-1:30PM: Cannabinoid Use: Myths, Facts & Implications. Primarily focused on medical marijuana. Dr. D’Souza from Yale is featured speaker. Silver Hill Hospital, Martin Center, 208 Valley Road, New Canaan. $25 cost. 4 CEU credits available.
- Saturday, May 4 at 9AM: CMC Parent & Family Workshop. Led by the Center for Motivation & Change (CMC Foundation). Learn CRAFT, Motivational Interviewing and ACT techniques from Jeff Foote and Carrie Wilkens, co-authors of Beyond Addiction. Location Greenwich Audubon Center, 613 Riversville Road, Greenwich, CT.
- Thursday, May 9 at 8:30AM: Marijuana Impact on Brain. Dr. Stephen L. Dewey, NYU School of Medicine. Fairfield University – Alumni House. 1073 N. Benson Rd., Fairfield, CT.
- Monday, May 13 at 7PM: The Adventure Recovery Model. Tim Walsh, CEO of Adventure Recovery, Bantam, CT. Newport Academy, 85 Old Kings Highway North, Darien, CT. RSVP to Iris Maclean at firstname.lastname@example.org or 203-997-7178.
- Wednesday, May 15 at 7PM: Monthly Pathway Session. Anxiety and Marijuana on Campus. Jonathan Beazley, LADC, LMFT, AOD Interventionist, UConn-Storrs. Hosts: NCPSG & NCY. New Canaan YMCA, 564 South Avenue, Wagner Room.